Some cool women wear scarf images:
Launch party of the tanker ‘British Cavalier’
Image by Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Guests attending the launch of the tanker ‘British Cavalier’ at the North Sands shipyard of J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland, 19 June 1962 (TWAM ref. DS.JLT4/PH/1/700/1/1).
This set celebrates the achievements of the famous Sunderland shipbuilding firm Joseph L. Thompson & Sons. The company’s origins date back to 1846 when the firm was known as Robert Thompson & Sons. Robert Thompson senior died in 1860, leaving his second son Joseph Lowes Thompson in control. In 1870 the shipyard completed its last wooden vessel and was then adapted for iron shipbuilding.
By 1880 the firm had expanded its operations over much of North Sands and in 1884 completed the construction of Manor Quay, which served as fitting out and repair facilities. For many years in the late nineteenth century the yard was the most productive in Sunderland and in 1894 had the fourth largest output of any shipyard in the world.
The Depression affected the firm severely in the early 1930s and no vessels were launched from 1931 to 1934. However, during those years the company developed a hull design giving greater efficiency and economy in service. During the Second World War the prototype developed by Joseph L. Thompson & Sons proved so popular that it was used by the US Government as the basis of over 2,700 Liberty ships built at American shipyards between 1942 and 1945.
After the War the North Sands shipyard went on to build many fine cargo ships, oil tankers and bulk carriers. Sadly the shipyard closed in 1979, although it briefly reopened in 1986 to construct the crane barge ITM Challenger.
(Copyright) We’re happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite ‘Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums’ when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you’re unsure please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Phù Lá Hán minority
Image by Linda DV
Bac Ha market.
The Phu La, have nearly 8900 inhabitants living in the provinces of Lai Chau, Son La, Lao Cai and Ha Giang. The largest part settles in Lao Cai.
The Phu La are also called Bo Kho Pa, Mu Di Pa and Va Xo Lao.
From ’54 Ethnic Groups’ VNA publishing house, Hanoi.
I bought this book in ‘Vietnam Museum of Ethnology’ Hanoi.
There are six Phula sub-groups: Flowery Phula, Black Phula, Phula Han, Chu La Phula, White Phula and Xa Pho.
There are also approximately 4,200 Phù Lá in China, where they are classified as members of the Yi ethnic group.
Women of this Phu La subgroup wear indigo trousers instead of skirts. This subgroup wears high-collared blouses of green or blue, with embroidered bands sewn on the cuffs and around the upper sleeves. They cover the blouse with a decorated apron, held up by a silver chain around the neck. They often wear a plaid scarf as a head covering. Phula women, as well as men, always carry beautifully decorated cloth handbags.
1937 Police arrest man wanted for murder on Bedminster Down
Image by brizzle born and bred
Daily Mirror, Fri 5 Mar 1937
(Adjust your display settings, make text larger, click on view all sizes)
After he had been brought to London from Bristol, Douglas Scott, aged twenty-seven, was last night charged with the murder of his step-mother, Mrs. Sarah Alice Scott, whose body was found in a bedroom of her home, Idmiston road, Worcester Park, Surrey, by her fifteen-year-old son, Donald.
An SOS had been broadcast to all police that a man driving a saloon car was wanted for questioning in connection with the murder.
In Bristol some hours later Police-Sergeant Tull, cycling along
Bedminster Down road, saw a car answering to the description. He raced to the nearest telephone and rang up East-street, Bedminster, Police Station. From there Inspector Ambrose Williams drove in a police car to the main road and overtook the car.
He questioned the driver, who was alone, and took him to the
Central Pohce Station. He was Douglas Scott, stepson of Mrs Scott. Inspector Henry and Sergeant Chillcott hurried down from London and spent some time interviewing Scott. After lunch they drove in a closed car with him to Temple Meads Station.
The detained man was smuggled into the station through a private entrance and appeared on the platform through a subway. He was well-groomed and his light brown hair was brushed neatly back. He wore a brown overcoat.
Prom Paddington, Scott was taken, still handcuffed, to Wimbledon police station. There, after further questioning, he was charged with the murder of his stepmother.
He will appear in Kingston-on-Thames Police Court to-day.
Husband of murdered woman visits scene of crime. Mr Scott, husband of the murdered woman, and Superintendent Sands, who is in charge of the investigations, paid a visit to the house in Idmiston Road, Worcester Park, Surrey, where Mrs Sarah Alice Scott, aged about 50, was found dead with head injuries and a scarf around her neck by her son, Donald.
Mrs Sarah Alice Scott, aged about 50, was found dead with head injuries and a scarf around her neck.
28 Apr 1937 – The trial of Douglas Leoni Scott (22), a carpenter, of Chiswick, who is charged with the murder of his stepmother, Mrs. Sarah Alice Scott, of Idmiston-road, Worcester Park, is to open to-morrow at the Old Bailey.